Sunday, May 18, 2014

Felicity: Run Out.

I ran....
Till breath turned to fire in my chest.
I ran....
Till muscles ached, and my body wouldn't carry me even one step further.
I ran....
Till a sign took me out of my mind, and landed me solidly back in unwelcome reality.

And while I ran, I kept Violet at my hip, or over my shoulder, but always within sight. Violet's tendency to wander in search of human prey became almost uncontrollable. And so, I kept control, by over stuffing her with whatever animal I was able to hunt down at a moments notice.

Now, Violet sat in the midst of an impromptu meal of stray dog, while I contemplated an odd sign, with a very straightforward message. 

"BOSTON HAS THE CURE"

Boston was more than eight hundreds miles away. It would take two weeks on foot to get there, assuming Violet's condition stays the same. Assuming that she can hover in this strange limbo between human, and the flesh eating dead for that long.

I watched her continue to eat the tangled mass of canine viscera, the look on her face a mix of feral hunger, and absolute contentment, and I weighed options. Option one involved a long and difficult trek north, and a possible cure for my sister's condition. Option two was simple, feed her till the last of Violets humanity gave way, and then end her. 

I had already run too far, and protected her for too long to even consider option two for more that a few fleeting moment. I pray Boston is the answer. But I have saved a few bullets in case it's not.


No comments:

Post a Comment